Thursday 5 February 2015

(9) The Haddon Library (Arch and Anth)

I took advantage of a cancelled lecture to sneak 3 hours of library time into my day.
In my third library away from the Sidgwick site, I am, once again, sticking with relatively 'safe' arts type subjects. The Haddon Library serves the Archaeology and Anthropology course (now known as HSPS) and has a convenient number of books about women in the Middle East.

I imagine this would look better without the scaffolding

Scary door

Just in case you get lost

After ascending an imposing stone staircase and registering for borrowing rights (didn't even have to fill in a paper form here - pretty decent) I was immediately impressed by the library itself. Whilst the actual floor space was probably quite small, the ceiling was very high and the book shelves were made of solid wood. There were balconies are each end with a selection of old books, adding to the 'traditional library' feel.
Solid effort

A mere 8 pages into my book I very nearly fell asleep. It seems that three 5am starts in row, a warm room and an abstract discussion on poststructuralist criticisms of modernity do that to a person. 

Whilst there were some very large windows, the miserable weather made it gloomy anyway, but I don't think it would be fair to blame the Haddon Library for this.

Windows so high that my phone can't handle them

Nice arches

It was reasonably warm in there, not overwhelmingly so as in the FAMES library, but warm enough that I wasn't tempted to put by coat back on (as I have experience in the Seeley once or twice)

A very old, but still relevant note

The bookcases are huge too

Overall, a traditional library with comfy chairs, large desks and massive bookshelves. A nice place to work (if you can keep yourself awake, which I sadly couldn't)

No comments:

Post a Comment