Wednesday 25 February 2015

(14) The Geography Library

After over a week of being busy, procrastinating, having hypothermia and a stomach bug, I decided that it was time to get back to the all important task of library hopping (and obviously getting some work done).

The geography library can be found in the corner of the Downing site, in one of their standard redbrick buildings. 

Exciting
After going up a few flights of stairs, helpfully guided by 'library' signs, I managed to get there - although it wasn't the easiest of libraries to find.

Old school staircase
As with a number of other departments I've visited, the Geography library operates a 'leave your bag and coat on a shelf' system. 
The return of the shelves


An open and inviting door
Bag and coat safely deposited, once inside there were a decent number of large wooden tables with a couple of bookstands on each - a helpful addition that I haven't yet encountered at any other library.
Very solid looking tables
There weren't any lamps on the desks, nor could I find any plug sockets near me (although that might be because I wasn't looking very hard). This wasn't a problem for the reading that I needed to do as the sunlight from the window was more than enough, but I suspect that it might get a bit dark and gloomy on a less sunny day.

And look at the sunlight!
Bookshelves from floor to ceiling - efficient use of space

Whilst the library was almost deserted first thing, by the time I left at 12:30 most tables had at least one person working on them.

And some nice pot plants 
A rather more 'traditional' library with plenty of deskspace, helpful bookstands, and a generally calm and peaceful atmosphere. Nice to work in before it became a bit too crowded as the day went on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment