Monday 19 January 2015

(6) Whipple Library (History and Philosophy of Science)

Today's library of choice is the Whipple Library, which sounds like a kind of ice cream. It's located along Free School Lane, behind some imposing wooden doors that falsely claim that it's the laboratory of physical chemistry. This is about as close as I've been to a lab in the two years and four months I've been at Cambridge.

What is this thing called Science?


After making my way through a maze-like series of staircases going up, down, left and right. I finally found the library itself.
Maybe it's just around this corner?

Are we nearly there yet?

The Whipple library also operates a system of leaving bags behind when you enter the library, only they provide lockers rather than the inadequate shelving space of the divinity faculty library.

Sensible 


Once inside I found myself a seat closest to a radiator on the lowest floor (it's really very cold at the moment). The library is quite small, but it's set over a few levels with gaps in the floor/ceiling and so feels pretty open.   
Nice

Despite the pleasant working conditions, the fact that I had eights hours sleep last night and my overwhelming love for writing essays (one of these three may not be quite as true as the others) by 11 o'clock I found myself starting to doze, so I went for a stroll around the library to wake myself up. 

Lovely

On my walk I discovered a few interesting objects, such as a plastic model of human skin and a bizarre contraption that might have something to do with light. 

I don't know what this is

The library was surprisingly busy - possibly because the students taking HPS are accustomed to the long working hours of a natsci or medic and have carried this work ethic over to this module, even if it is more 'arts'. I didn't manage to get any photos of the upper floors of the library because there were too many people looking studious and it would have been weird.

The upper floors were airy, with a tall white ceiling, large windows, and well-spaced out desks.

All in all, a really good library. It would have been nice to have stayed longer but a) despite my strategic location next to a radiator I had lost circulation in all but three of my toes, and b) I was really hungry. Nonetheless, the Whipple Library was a great place to spend a productive and not entirely unpleasant four and a half hours on a Monday morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment