Thursday 4 December 2014

(4) The English Faculty Library

It's a beautiful winter's morning, the last day of week eight and I'm back to the Sidgwick site for a trip to the English library, another of the history faculty's neighbours.
Everything's so square and rectangular

To be blunt, the English faculty looks like it's made out of lego. It's essentially a big orangey rectangle, which stands out among the architects playground of the Sidgwick Site purely for it's apparent lack of imagination.

Lego?


It was only when I entered that I realised just how uncultured my comments were. Apparently, it won the '2005 building of the year' competition. I can only wonder what the other entries were...

I think this might be serious, but it seems a bit sarcastic.
The reception had festive decorations up, and the staff were very friendly. I immediately warm to any library that has fairy lights and Christmas trees.

Pretty fairy lights!

Most importantly, there are beanbags in the English library. Actual beanbags. Brilliant. I didn't sit on them because I was already nodding at a desk and lying on a beanbag would have had disastrous consequences for my work rate.

Real beanbags, in a university library


This library had gone for practical yet stylish white rectangular shelves.


There's even a helpful stepladder in case you want a book from a high shelf
 I was a little bit surprised by how small the library seemed to be. This might have been partly due to the layout. There were not vast rows of desks, but rather a few groups of tables either side of the bookshelves, with smaller individual desks upstairs. It somehow manages to be both cosy and airy at the same time. 
Artwork on the walls, airy desk spaces
9/10 - Nice desks, friendly librarians and BEANBAGS


Finally, a legal case for nominative determinism




No comments:

Post a Comment